UEFA on Wednesday appointed disciplinary inspectors to carry an investigation into Real Madrid, Barcelona, and Juventus over their efforts to start a breakaway Super League. The news has been confirmed by European Football’s governing body. Among the 12 original clubs, only three clubs have not distant from the project following an outline of criticism.
“UEFA Ethics and Disciplinary inspectors have today appointed to conduct a disciplinary investigation regarding a potential violation of UEFA’s legal framework by Real Madrid, Barcelona, and Juventus in connection with the so-called ‘Super League’ project,” UEFA said in a statement.
The European Super League was announced on 18th April but collapsed within 48 hours after receiving backlash from fans, UEFA, FIFA, other football associations, and British Government. Following a heavy protest six Premier League clubs dropped from the project immediately.
The Super League was launched with 12 clubs as founding members, but nine of them – Manchester United, Liverpool, Manchester City, Chelsea, Tottenham Hotspur, Arsenal, AC Milan, Inter Milan, and Atlético Madrid – have stepped back and have made a deal with UEFA.
The clubs who withdrew from the project signed a “declaration of the club’s commitment” with the governing body last week, which included a series of “reinvestment” phases. They committed to taking “all steps within their power” to end their involvement in the breakaway league and agreed to participate in UEFA competitions for which they qualify. They also agreed to pay fines of 100 million euros if they ever seek to play in an “unauthorized” competition.
UEFA said last week that it would initiate disciplinary proceedings against Juventus, Real, and Barca, the three clubs joining the Super League. Further information regarding this matter will be made available in due course.