Robert Lewandowski said his eight years at Bayern Munich had been “special” as he bid goodbye to players and staff from the German giants on Saturday.
The Poland striker looks to seal a move to Barcelona after Bayern reportedly accepted a € 50 million offer from the LaLiga club.
Barcelona is said to be paying an initial €45million, plus € 5 million in performance-related add-ons, to secure the player who scored 50 goals for Bayern across all competitions last season.
Lewandowski was spotted at Sabener Strasse on Saturday morning, taking part in training before hugging teammates and coaching staff at the end of the session.
The 33-year-old joined Bayern from Borussia Dortmund in 2014, and speaking to Germany’s Sky Sport News, Lewandowski said:
“I will come back and say goodbye to all the employees correctly. But, unfortunately, I didn’t have much time to prepare for it.
“These eight years were remarkable, and you don’t forget that. I had a great time in Munich. I will fly soon. But after the training camp, I will come again and say goodbye correctly and organise a few things.
“I said goodbye to the guys on the pitch today. I wasn’t worried about an injury in training. Something can happen to me at home. I wanted to keep fit, so I trained with the boys again.”
Bayern has already moved to limit the impact of Lewandowski’s departure with the signing of Sadio Mane from Liverpool.
At the same time, midfielder Ryan Gravenberch and right-back Noussair Mazraoui have also recently joined from Ajax.
According to Christian Falk of BILD Sport, Bayern CEO Oliver Kahn also confirmed an agreement with Barca for Lewandowski.
“We have now reached an agreement with FC Barcelona. So far, however, only verbally. The contract is still pending.”
Likewise, for more football news like this, click here.