Given his outstanding calendar year, Real Madrid strikerhas been chosen as the 2022 Ballon d’Or winner. The France international had an outstanding 2021–22 season at Santiago Bernabeu, scoring an incredible 44 goals to help Los Blancos win the La Liga and Champions League. The 34-year-old made 15 goals in European play and 27 in the Spanish top division last season.
For Madrid, Benzema has been a revelation, filling the vacuum left by Cristiano Ronaldo’s departure in 2018 and taking on the captaincy role after Sergio Ramos joined Paris Saint-Germain. His peers have now recognized him as the best player in the world, defeating opposition from players like Kylian Mbappe, Robert Lewandowski, Sadio Mane, Mohamed Salah, and Erling Haaland to win the coveted Golden Ball.
Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo have recently dominated the Ballon d’Or vote, with the Argentinean winning a record-breaking seven accolades and the Portuguese superstar taking home five. Along with Ronaldo and Alfredo Di Stefano, legendary athletes Michel Platini, Johan Cruyff, Marco van Basten, Franz Beckenbauer, and Johan Cruyff have all won the championship on many occasions. Benzema has added to Real Madrid’s record-breaking collection of awards by becoming the ninth player to win it.
The seasoned forward has scored goals again this year as Real seeks to retain both their domestic and continental titles. He also hopes to assist France to win the World Cup once more in Qatar in 2022.
Other players who have won the Ballon d’Or Awards are as follows:
1. Karim Benzema (Real Madrid)
2. Sadio Mane (Liverpool)
3. Kevin De Bruyne (Manchester City)
4. Robert Lewandowski (Barcelona/Bayern Munich)
5. Mohamed Salah (Liverpool)
6. Kylian Mbappe (PSG)
7. Thibaut Courtois (Real Madrid)
8. Vinicius Jr (Real Madrid)
9. Luka Modric (Real Madrid)
10. Erling Haaland (Manchester City/Borussia Dortmund)
11. Son Heung-min (Tottenham)
12. Riyad Mahrez (Manchester City)
13. Sébastien Haller (Ajax Amsterdam / Borussia Dortmund)
14. Rafael Leao (AC Milan)
14. Fabinho (Liverpool)
16. Virgil van Dijk (Liverpool)
17. Casemiro (Real Madrid/Manchester United)
17. Dusan Vlahovic (Fiorentina/Juventus Turin)
17. Luis Diaz (Porto/Liverpool)
20. Cristiano Ronaldo (Juventus/Manchester United)
21. Harry Kane (Tottenham )
22. Bernardo Silva (Manchester City)
22. Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool)
22. Phil Foden (Manchester City)
25. Darwin Nunez (Benfica/Liverpool)
25. Christopher Nkunku (RB Leipzig)
25. Joao Cancelo (Manchester City)
25. Antonio Rüdiger (Chelsea/Real Madrid)
25. Mike Maignan (AC Milan)
25. Joshua Kimmich (Bayern Munich)
For more information and statistics on players, keep following this space.