Regarding the incident in Mykonos last week which led to Harry Maguire’s conviction of assault and corruption, Harry is pleased to have been able to “share the true version of events”.
The 27-year-old Manchester United and England defender was handed down a 21-month suspended prison sentence but subsequently lodged an appeal that nullifies the verdict and means that Maguire has no criminal record before a full retrial after he was found guilty by a Greek court on Tuesday.
On Thursday Harry spoke about the incident to BBC, saying he was “scared for his life” and worried that he and his family and friends were being abducted.
He tweeted on Friday: “Thanks for the support of everyone over the past week, I am pleased to have had my say and share the true version of the events. With @ManUtd and @England looking forward to getting on with life now and the season ahead.”
He told BBC Sport: “I was thinking we got kidnapped. We got down on our knees, we put our hands in the air and they just began to hit us.”
“They hit my leg and told me my career was over: ‘No more football. You’re not going to play again.’”
“And at this point, I thought there was no chance that these were police or I didn’t know who they were, so I tried to run away, I was scared for my life in that much of a panic, fear. Through that the whole way.”