FIFA President Gianni Infantino speaks at the 71st meeting of the FIFA Virtual Congress on 21 May 2021 at the FIFA House in Zurich, Switzerland. FIFA president Gianni Infantino refused to deny that he or his staff had met the rebels before European Super League clubs began their ill-fated project last month, but said they never supported a closed separatist league.
Javier Tebas, president of the Spanish League, publicly accused Infantino of being behind the project, while on Thursday the New York Times quoted sources as saying that some of Infantino’s employees were involved in discussions about FIFA’s potential support for the plan.
When asked at a press conference after the FIFA Congress on Friday whether he could refute Tebas’ allegations and his involvement or other claims of FIFA, Infantino did not directly answer the question.
He said, “We should look at the facts, not rumors or gossip in the corridors.” Especially since they do not come from some parts, ”he said.
“Everyone in football knows that some clubs have been studying or preparing this project or similar projects for years.”
“In the 16 years that I have been at UEFA, we have always managed to manage it and I can tell you that there are far more advanced projects than what we have seen recently.
He said, “It is also my responsibility, and responsibility of FIFA to meet the stakeholders and discuss.”
But the Swiss official said the talks did not include support for a project.
He said, “Listening to some clubs and talking to some clubs does not mean that FIFA has in any way collaborated or conspired for any Super League project.”.
Last month, 12 of the most important European clubs, six in the English Premier League, along with the top Italian and Spanish clubs, announced that they would form a Super League. But after intense criticism from the entire game and governments and fan groups, the six English clubs withdrew after just 48 hours and the offer fell through.