Brazilian football great Pele has been hospitalized in Sao Paulo for ongoing treatment for a colon tumor. Hospital Albert Einstein of Sao Paulo said in a statement on Wednesday that 81-year-old Pele’s condition was “stable and he is expected to be discharged in a few days”.
Pepito Fornos told that Pele is undergoing “chemotherapy” sessions to treat the tumor. Earlier this year in September the tumor was detected in a routine examination. “His condition is stable and is expected to be released in the next few days,” said the medical team looking after his condition. Pele, 81, underwent surgery in September 2021 to remove a tumor in his right colon that was found during routine examinations by doctors.
“When the road is tough, celebrate every step of the way,” Pele wrote on Instagram at the time. “Focus on your happiness. It’s true that I can’t jump anymore, but over the past few days I’ve been flying more often than usual. Thank you to all of you who have made my whole life far away with so many messages of love,” the Brazilian added.
The three-time World Cup winner, who entered the 1958 World Cup as a teenager, continued to make headlines even after his retirement by endorsing international products and as an open public figure. In 2000, FIFA named Pele the Player of the Century, an honor he shared with Argentine Diego Maradona. Last year, there were concerns about Pele’s health, but he dismissed reports that he suffered from depression while recovering from hip surgery.